Telling stories. Inspiring action. Analyzing results. These are at the heart of Heidi’s 20+ years in marketing communication. Whether in traditional print, electronic media, or face-to-face communication, she’s been committed to delivering timely, accurate, and effective communication that makes sense and inspires audiences to act. And, she’s humbled to share the lessons she’s learned (and learn from) students in the college classroom or summer camps.
Since 1996, Heidi has taught a variety of courses that empower students of all ages to facilitate change through effective communication, including rhetorical writing, civic writing, copywriting, creative writing and business communication. She’s also taught public relations, project management, advertising and mass media. She has served as an adjunct faculty member at Saint Cloud State University, Saint Cloud Technical and Community College, and Minnesota State University Mankato. Currently, she is an assistant professor of communication and journalism at Minnesota State University Moorhead.
In addition to teaching, Heidi has directed marketing, communication and fund-raising efforts at Saint Cloud Technical and Community College and College of Saint Benedict.
Heidi got her start as an advertising copywriter for Herberger’s Department Stores at the corporate office formerly located in Saint Cloud. She then joined Creative Memories, the company that pioneered the scrapbooking industry, where she worked for ten years in communications, marketing, and engineering, research and development until she was laid off in 2005. From 2014 to 2017, Heidi oversaw a virtual team of writers, designers and market analysts for a technology company that serves the mortgage industry based out of New Jersey.
In addition, Heidi operated a communications consulting firm part-time where she offered strategic and tactical communications to non-profits and small businesses.
She’s the co-author of two books, including the Wall Street Journal BestSeller “The Creative Memories Way: The 10 Timeless Principles Behind the Company That Pioneered the Scrapbook Industry,” which she wrote with Creative Memories Cofounder Cheryl Lightle. Heidi has also authored several articles for Business Central, the magazine of the St. Cloud Area Chamber of Commerce:
- “Women Mean Business,” which featured three local women business owners who shared what women bring to leadership, what challenges they’ve overcome, and what advice they have for women looking to start their own businesses.
- “The Great Cover Up,” which helps small businesses understand and protect themselves from employee fraud.
- “Redefining Media,” which discussed how old and new media are an important part of keeping messages in front of a target audience
- “The Trouble With Business: Price Wars,” which gave practical advice for pricing products in a new business start up
Heidi earned a Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s Degree in English from Saint Cloud State University.
She also holds a PhD in Technical Communication and Rhetoric from Texas Tech University. Her dissertation research explored how small businesses build their brand and establish credibility on the web. She also has published research articles and given research presentations on:
- Ethics in marketing/communication as well as legal documentation,
- The usability and user experience with severe weather graphics and communication from the National Weather Service — Lubbock, and
- The alignment of business student and business professional perceptions of mobile phone use in the work environment.